Nov 19, 2008

In the news

The last few days, my university's name was mentioned very frequently in the news.. but all for the wrong reasons.. :$

Read the following news..
Waseda reveals 4 more arrests over cannabis

Other than this drug issue, there is another "problem" that I would attribute equal seriousness to, which is alcoholism.. All you need to do is to walk around Takadanobaba Station in the evening every Friday, you would see hordes and hordes of students, local and foreign, drinking themselves silly at the various eateries/restaurants/izagaya in the area.. And it is not uncommon to see students slumped outside some shops, either puking their guts out or were barely conscious.. To think that this is one of the "elite" universities in the country.... :x :O :x My goodness... I know that I am generalizing, and definitely there are students who are really studying and do take their education seriously.. but I think those are in the minority.. Even the majority of the foreign students here are from well-to-do families which, I can see clearly, don't really care about studying..

Contrasting that with the impression that I got when I visited Todai a couple of weeks ago.. :x the ambiance were totally different.. One can really feel the seriousness each students has.. This is where a couple of Nobel prize winners were born! I am willing to trade ONE Nobel prize winner with 3 or 4 Japanese PMs anytime!!!!

Anyway, the only thing I can do is to make the most out of my study here.. I shall make full use of the library (although the books are gravely old and new books are acutely lacking). Also I will see if I could capitalize on its "good reputation" to get a "good" job here.. ;)

No comments: