Nov 5, 2008

New Glasses

Went to make a new pair of glasses three days ago.. It wasn't because I broke my existing pair but because I had been using the same pair for the last 5 years.. And the fact that my eyes seemed to shed tears ever so often made me suspect that it was a sign that my eyes had became worse and I need a new pair of glasses..

And so I went to the Co-op spectacle shop next to the campus.. First I need to chose a set of frames.. My budget is around 15,000yen which is roughly SGD200. After spending 20mins choosing and trying them out, I finally decided on a pair that is 13,000yen. :) Since I don't wear contact lens nor do I change my glasses very often, I think the price is reasonable..

Then I was asked to go another nearby branch to have my eyes examine. The way they measure nearsightedness (myopia) and astigmatism is different over here. Instead of using hundreds of degree to denominate nearsightedness, they use + or - and number 1 to 6 in 2 decimal points.. I was attended by a friendly lady and we talked in Japanese.. :x I could understand roughly 60% of what she was saying but I definitely rely a lot on guess work.. :P Based on the degree of my existing glasses, it seemed that my eyes did not get worse.. Only my left eye has deteriorated by 0.25, and even my astigmatism remained the same.. I was really surprised at the result, considering the amount of time I spent staring at monitors for the past 5 years, either for work or for leisure.. I was using 3 monitors when I was working at Visa.. :x Anyway, that was good news for me.. However, the lady tried giving the lens with the degree that matches what the testing machine prescribed but to no avail. I still can't see as clearly as my old glasses... In the end, she increased all my degrees (for both left and right eyes) by 0.25 and then I could see perfectly..

After the examination, I went back to the spectacle shop to place an order for my lens... As I did not want to have another set of "colored" glasses, I choose to use just the ordinary lens.. Again, I was surprised that I could collect my new set of glasses the very next day!! Normally, it would take at least 3 - 7 days in Malaysia.. So no complain from me for this express service..

And so voila!! My new set of glasses!! :) :)


If you wanna see me wearing them, wait for my next outing.. ;) ;)

No comments: