Nov 9, 2008

Movie Outing..

After more than 19 months in Japan, I have yet to go to a movie.. until today.. :)

Went to watch John Wu's 赤壁 (Red Cliff) at Roppongi Hills today with a group of Malaysian friends.. The movie premiered a couple of months ago in other countries, but was only released in Japan last week..

Before the movie, we went to have lunch.. at an Indian restaurant.. the food was quite good, but as usual, rather expensive.. All of us ordered the same lunch set, Mixed Grill lunch set, which cost 1,735yen (around SGD$23)..


The decoration within the restaurant was very Indian.. :P


But according to one of my friends who is an interior designer, the material used for these decorations weren't very expensive.. thus it was just "look expensive but in fact quite cheap".. :P

After the lunch, we went walking around Roppongi Hills.. Frankly it reminds me of Wisma Atria in Singapore.. with all the boutiques and flag ships of expensive international brands.. even if you were to take away one or two zeros from their prices, those items are still very expensive.. :x :x

We bought the tickets for the 3.20pm show..

The show was 145 minutes long.. It was a fiction as many of the plot weren't historically accurate.. Although I must say the casting of Tony Leung and Takesi Kaneshiro was good, I can't say the same for the role of Zhao Yun and Liu Bei.. also some of the scenes are quite redundant in my opinion.. like the bed scene between Tony Leung and Chi-ling Lin.. not that I am complaining.. ;)

Even though Liu Bei has many capable generals and warriors fighting for him, I was never a fan of his.. I could understand why they would want to fight and die for him but I won't be one of them.. He would have been a good ruler in peace time, but in that time and situation, he is too benevolent and tenderhearted.. When it was time to make tough decisions, he always made the wrong ones.. If it weren't for his followers, he would have died many times over.. If it weren't for his namesake [his (distant) lineage to the Emperor at that time] and him being a Mr.Nice Guy, he wouldn't have been a force to reckon in those days..

Anyway, this movie is only the first part of a two-parter.. The 2nd part would be released (in Japan) in April 2009.. That would be where the real battle begun..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm out of touch with HK stars but since I'm in China now, it's easy to watch the latest movies on DVD ;-)

Tony Leung seems to be very "hot" nowadays eh? We just watched "The Warlords" and "Lust Caution" which had him in starring roles. Now, you mention a 3rd one!

And a bedroom scene too? I wonder how Karina Lau takes them as they're really raunchy...

Imm said...

Ya.. Tony Leung is "the" actor nowadays.. he is a very good actor no doubt, but I really must question the rationale of those bedroom scenes.. to me, they are really redundant.. the directors could convey the same message of intimacy or whatever using other scenes..