Nov 15, 2008

Went drinking..

Last Wednesday, as a token of appreciation for our efforts in organizing and making the international conference a success, my professor gave us a treat in one of the restaurants nearby. :) It was all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink at a restaurant called, Mo-Mo Paradise, which served shabu-shabu, a kind of Japanese steamboat.. Unlike in Malaysia and Singapore where the buffet has no time limit, buffets (all-you-can-eat and/or all-you-can-drink) in Japan usually have a time limit of 90 to 120 minutes..

There were about 22 of us and we had a small room to ourselves.. The variety of ingredients available were, frankly, very limited.. two type of meat: beef and pork, about 4 types of vegetables, vermicelli and toufu. And the soup was nothing special, and was quite bland, actually... And the cost is 3,500yen (SGD$54 or MYR$130) per person!! Seriously, with that kind of price, you can have king prawns, scallops and maybe even abalone in Malaysia and maybe in Singapore too... :x :x

I sat with a couple of lab-mates from Taiwan.. we didn't really dare to chat much as my professor was seated at the same row of table as we were.. It was pretty awkward as no one wanted to sit near the professor.. In the end, two students did.. :P We also ordered our drinks.. I ordered a glass of black-sugar plum liquor on the rock.. I never liked Soju or Sake as they are too bitter for my liking...

After eating for a while, someone suggested to play drinking games. Thus we ordered some beer.. and so the game begin.. we started off with 4 players playing.. then another person joined in.. we didn't really pay much attention to our professor.. :P Very soon, we had finished up 4 bottles of beer (about 700ml per bottle)..We had to take a short toilet break because all the beer is making our bladders bloated.. We kept ordering drinks.. :P As the game progressed, everyone was making more noise and speaking louder as we became more high.. :P The other tables were still very quiet and subdued..

It was a simple game of NOT guessing the right number.. If the person before you calls out a number and the number matches, you had to finish up a glass of beer.. Soon, we began to swap seats in order not to get "punished".. In that 2 hours, between the five of us, we had drank around 8 bottles of beer, 2 glasses of plum liquor and 2 glasses of some liquor which I have no idea what they were.. I drank the 2nd or 3rd most glasses among the group.. I was still very conscious, just a little tipsy.. Haven't been so high for a long long while.. ;) :P

As I still have classes the very next day at 9am, I wouldn't allow myself to get any higher.. So in a way, I was happy that our 90 minutes were up.. :P

Can't imagine that I was drinking with a bunch of "youngsters" who are 9-10 years my junior.. :o :P Made me feel so old just thinking about it...

1 comment:

蝋燭の芯 said...

Heheh, I am always hanging out with a bunch of youngsters who are 9-10 years my junior too.
I feel myself as young as them,hahah!!!