Dec 1, 2008

Kansai Trip II: Preparation

It was a rush trip.. My classmate and I decided to go Kyoto about 3 weeks ago and we didn't really have a concrete plan.. which was something I have not done before.. Me being a control freak.. I would always need to know exactly where, what and how of the whole trip.. But for once, I decided to just go with the flow and see where it will take me..

We booked our bus tickets to Namba, Osaka about 1 week before departure and the tickets back to Tokyo 3 days before departure.. We only found and decided on our hostel about 5 days before our trip.. so it was pretty last-minute.. I can't described the anxiety I felt with regards to the trip.. but I tried not to be too stressed out about it.. This was a trip to see the less touristy side of Kyoto.. Although this would be my 3rd trip to Kansai, there are still a lot of places that I have yet to visit... thus I don't mind to just follow my classmate, CC. :) It was to be her 8th trip there!! :O

Since there was a public holiday on Monday, the bus tickets were quickly sold out.. More buses were added but the prices too went up.. We spent 5,700yen to go and 4,500yen to come back to Tokyo, taking the same type of bus.. And we paid 2,450yen for a bed in a 4-bed mixed dorm in Kyoto.. We spent about 15,100yen for both transport and lodging for 2 nights.. compared this to a one-way ticket on the Shinkansen to Kyoto which cost 13,500yen, this was really a budget trip.. :)

We didn't really have a fixed itinerary, except that we are going to Mt Koya on the first day, then to Arashiyama area on the 2nd day and maybe the Imperial Palace on the 3rd day.. instead of my usual meticulous planning, we just have a rough idea of where and how to get to each destination.. again, it was not my style of traveling.. But because I was not the "planner" and this was to be a leisure trip with no "target" to meet, I must say that I did quite enjoy the trip.. :)

No comments: