Dec 7, 2008

Total annihilation.. maybe not

Just got back from my JLPT exam.. Instead of feeling a sense of being totally KO-ed, there is a 60-40 chance of me passing this time.. cross my fingers... :x :x

To show how much I miss gaming online (especially WoW - I miss Azeroth!!!), I shall use a gaming metaphor to describe the differences between last year and this:
Imagine that the JLPT Exam is a computer game with many levels.. I will use WoW as an example.. so JLPT is the WoW game itself.. One has to train to level up one's character or alter ego in order to proceed to more difficult quests and adventures.. Just like for Japanese, learning bit by bit so as to be able to understand (read, write and converse) the (confusing) world of Japanese culture/whatever..

A level 10+ character can never defeat a level 30+ boss.. and a level 40+ character can easily out-fight a level 20+ boss.. So in a way, JLPT Level 4 is just like a level 20+ boss, JLPT Level 3 is level 30+, JLPT Level 2 is like level 50+ and JLPT Level 1 is (for now) the highest level boss, at level 80... If one attained level 80, one would be "almost" untouchable in the realm of WoW, just like passing JLPT Level 1 meant that one could understand "almost" everything that is Japanese... Notice the "" used for the word almost? Well, regular gamers know that not every level 80 character in WoW is as good as the next one and having a level 80 character doesn't mean that one won't get jump on (and beaten up) by other level 80 characters.. Much like for Japanese proficiency.. Not everyone who passed JLPT Level 1 is good in all aspects of Japanese language.. It just meant that he/she has put in the required effort to sufficiently gain what is essential..

So last year, I was like a level 30+ character trying to bring down a level 50+ boss.. tried as much as I can, I never did do much damage to the boss as the difference between us is just too wide.. I was too weak to even dent the boss's armor, much less killing him.. This time round, I have "leveled" up my character to around 40+... so hopefully with a little bit of luck, I can bring down this level 50+ boss..:) However, I am prepared to continue leveling up my character so as to slay the biggest boss of them all, the JLPT Level 1 boss... ;) :P


For those who have no idea what I had written above, don't worry.. Nothing important except my meaningless babbling..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but contrary to WoW in World-of-Japanese you cannot hire a Korean teenager to farm until your character reaches level 80... I sure wish we could, though. T_T