Aug 15, 2011

St. Anne's Novena & Feast 2011..

Although my parents worship Kuanyin (Goddess of Mercy) at home, they are open to praying to other (non-Buddhist/Taoist) deities.. in particular, they will attend the annual feast at Church of St Anne's Bukit Mertajam almost every year..

We used to live in a housing estate just opposite the St Anne's Church in the early 1990s.. It was one of my first few "encounters" with Christianity/church so to speak.. and those were the years I studied in a convent school, SMK Convent Bukit Mertajam (sorry the linked page is in Malay) and kinda came into my own.. :)

As the feast is held in July every year, I've not been to one since I've gone over to Singapore for my studies more than 15 years ago!! So this year, I jumped at the opportunity to go with my parents to see how things have changed over the years..

Iconic church
As the feast was held over a period of 10 days, we decided to go on the 6th day so as to avoid the early and last-minute crowds..

We got there after dinner, around 7.30pm..

As we walked from our parked car, we can see the brightly lit church from afar.. It looked so much different from what I remembered.. It had changed a lot, just like I did over these years..

It used to be small and was kinda rundown.. now, it stood majestically over a much bigger compound and is very well-kept.. 

We bought a box of candles each at one of the stalls inside the church compound... my mum and my sis bought flowers too.. then we walked up the steps into the church..

It was very spartan inside the iconic old church.. I don't remember whether it was like this all these while... In front, there is Jesus on the cross with statues of Virgin Mary and St Anne at his sides. A few rows of benches and 2 metal candle stands on each sides..

Many were praying, holding on to a burning candle with both their hands. Some closes their eyes while others focus on the statue(s). All of us will then place our candles onto the candle stands.. There are several helpers around to help with the candles and the offering of flowers..
Stalls selling candles, flowers and some light finger food
We then proceed to walk up the little hill behind the church where at the top there is a statue of St Anne, young Mary and baby Jesus. It was also the site of the very first Catholic chapel, founded in 1846 by French priests.

Stone steps lead up the hill.. I can still remember how we used to light candles along the stone path, 'banishing' all darkness.. and it was dangerous climbing up these stone steps as the wax from these candles made them very slippery.. now, we are not allowed to place candles outside the designated areas.. 

Both my sister and I decided to light a candle and carry it all the way up to the top without the flame going out.. in a way, we wanted to use this 'test' as a gauge to see if what we are praying for will come true or not or the very least if we'll be blessed this coming year.. it was very very windy along the way.. a couple of times my candle almost went out but luckily I managed to 'save' it.. :)

Old church, taken from Dataran St Anne.
Took us a while to climb up to the top as my mum's feet aren't as strong as before.. there were quite a few people there offering their candles and flowers at the top.. again, few helpers at the side, cleaning the metal candle stands and helping people with their flower offerings..

Once we got down from the hill, we went to the St Anne's Water, which is actually a row of 12 taps where visitors/pilgrims can drink the crystal clear spring water from the hill.. Many brought or bought bottles to take home some of this holy/blessed water.. 

Then we went to Dataran St Anne (translated as St Anne Square) that has a small fountain with a statue of St Anne and young Virgin Mary to rest and savor the peaceful night scenes around. We left around 10pm..

p/s: I didn't leave the place empty handed.. I bought a necklace with a small figurine of Saint Michael the Archangel.. a very nice additional to my collection of angels.. :)

p/s II: Oh ya, my sis and I managed to keep our candles burning throughout the entire 'hill-climbing'.. so this coming year should be a good one for us both.. :) :)




No comments: