Nov 6, 2009

Biopsy

Just got back from a FNA biopsy..

As someone who has never been hospitalized (*touch wood*) or need any surgery of any sort, the notion of going under the knife or needle isn't a pleasant thought.. but I need to do this, as the lump under my right ear isn't just growing, but has caused me enough sensation (aka pain) to tell me to do something about it..

I had it checked before, about 7 years back.. it was just a visual check with no testing or what-so-ever by the doctor when I did my health check.. According to the doctor then, it is most likely to be a lump caused by a lymph node that were over-stimulated (during a serious infection - most probably the bout of bronchitis I had around the same time) and refused to subside.. and it is most probably to be benign..

Although the initial observation and diagnose from the doctor this time states that the same thing, yet, until a biopsy is done, nothing is for sure. I had a choice of doing just a FNA biopsy or an excisional biopsy.. with the latter costing about 10 times more than the former.. Since I just wanna know if it is benign or not, I opted for the former.. I can do the excisional biopsy when I go back to Singapore where I can utilize some of my Medisave to offset the cost.. There are underlying dangers involved as I prefer to be fully anesthetized during the procedure and the danger of losing control of my facial muscle if the biopsy is not done properly and carefully.. In short, I have more faith and confidence with doctors over there..

The biopsy was over in less than 20minutes.. I wasn't scared or anything.. I was more curious as to what and how the doctor did it... it took just one injection of anesthetic, a couple of cuts and it was done.. the thing about local anesthesia is that I could hear and feel what the doctor was doing.. the cutting, pulling, pushing and stitching... although I don't feel the pain during the procedure, those sensations wasn't very pleasant.. and the sound of the metal instruments (scalpels, pincers, forceps, etc), which were being placed near my head - banging, clanging and being thrown around - was kinda traumatizing too..

I was told to keep the operated part dry, at least for a few days.. and I was asked to go back for checks and removal of stitches in a couple of days..

Up till now (about 2 hours later), I don't feel any pain..yet.. maybe in a few more hours.. again, with my high pain threshold, I think I will be able to withstand the pain and not have to take the pain killer that the doctor prescribed.. and just use the antiseptic lotion..

Even though I was reassured by the doctor that it was indeed my lymph nodes, I am still keeping my fingers crossed... until the result is known, no one can be sure if it is benign or otherwise, isn't it?? Well, I will know in a week's time.. :x :x

No comments: