Nov 2, 2009

Makan apa..

Being back for almost 40 days now, I have yet to eat all the usual Malaysian "must-eat" food.. yet to eat fried kuay teow, nasi lemak, ikan bakar, bak kut teh, soy bean curd, laksa, kaya toast, fish head curry, Ramly burger, satay, and all the Malay, Chinese and Peranakan kuih..

Why, you may asked.. Well, there is two reasons.. One, I have no cravings for them what-so-ever and my appetite has been poor..The other reason is that the food in Taiping is horrible.. I can confidently proclaim that I can cook much better than most of the hawkers here.. Many times, I would rather eat instant noodles, biscuits or just have a cup of Milo.. I think I have eaten more instant noodles in the last 40 days than any 4 months in Japan...

Once a week, my dad would make bread or plain pau.. so I would eat them with whatever leftover dishes from the dinner before..
Homemade Pau with leftover stew pork that I made for dinner the night before.
Homemade bread with baked beans and eggs..

With my parents working, I usually have to settle my own breakfast and lunch at home.. while dinner is a daily eat-together session with my parents and once in while, with my sister.. Compared to the concoctions in Japan, I just eat whatever I could get my hands on.. I missed the ease and freedom of getting anything that I have cravings for.. and seriously, it is no fun eating alone...

Anyway, since I don't have much of an appetite, this is a good chance for me to lose some weight.. :)

Translating "Makan apa" literally means "Eat what", which is usually used when asking people what they want to eat or what they are eating..

No comments: