Nov 25, 2009

Western Japan 2009: Hiroshima

Next stop was Hiroshima (広島).

I had two main destinations in mind, the Peace Memorial Park and Miyajima (宮島). Decided to skip the Hiroshima Castle, as the review I read of it wasn't very impressive, and concentrated on these two places..

Wrote about my trip to the Peace Memorial Park and my chanced meeting with Mr Mito earlier.. Thus I won't repeat myself here and shall just show some of the photos I took around the area..
I decided to spend one full day exploring Miyajima (宮島), again on foot.. and to hike up Mt Misen (弥山).

Visited the Itsukushima Shrine (厳島神社), a UNESCO World Heritage Site that is famous for its red floating O-Torii gate..
Went to a couple more shrines and temples around the area, like Daiganji Temple, Kiyomori Shrine and Daishoin Temple before taking the Daishoin Course to hike uo to the Mt Misen Observatory at 535m above sea level. The hike took me about one and a half hours with brief stops to savour the view and take pictures..
By the time I reach the top, it was almost 2pm.. After spending another 2 hours exploring the peak area and taking more photos, I took the Ropeway down as I was totally exhausted from the hike.. I was just in time to catch the low-tide and saw another view of the torii..
I then spend some time exploring some of the interesting shops at the Omotesando Shopping Arcade..
I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Hiroshima.. :)

No comments: