Nov 21, 2009

Blackout (II)

And I thought the blackout last Sunday was a rare occurrence, a freak accident that I was unfortunately enough to experience.. Two days ago, we suffered another 3 hour blackout from 10pm to almost 1am.. That was just the electricity supply..

Let's talk about water.. During my last 50 odd days here, there were 4 stoppages of water supply.. lasting from a few hours to half a day.. not to mention the frequent episodes of low water pressure that caused the water to drip, rather than flows..

Then the internet connection.. within the same period, I was cut off from the cyber-world for at least 5 times, between 4 hours to 2 days.. the unavailability of internet connection could have been longer if I didn't lodge a complaint to the ISP-cum-telco company.. and guess what, I am being charged MYR$1 per call for telling them that their service was down!!! And the charges was applied regardless of whether I managed to speak to a customer service officer or not!! Unbelievable, right??

After living in countries where such basic infrastructures and services - constant and uninterrupted supply of electricity, water and telecommunication - are a given, I couldn't comprehend why such incidents are still being allowed to happen in a country that kept boasting about its progress and modernity.. It is both incomprehensible and frustrating, to say the least.. and frankly, I refuse to subject myself to such low quality of life!

No comments: