Mar 22, 2009

Taiwan: Day Four (14 Mar)

Today I am meeting up with one of my Japanese classmates who had came back to Taiwan to work after her graduation.. Sharon and I would be going to 淡水 to eat and to visit the famous 愚人码头..

Early in the morning, I went to 国父纪念馆 (National Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall). Took the train there.. It was labeled clearly, so it is hard to miss.. Some photos taken around the area outside..



Then I went inside.. there seated high up looking out is the huge statue of Dr Sun Yat-sen.. I just missed the changing of guards ceremony, but I stayed on to view the two exhibition halls located on the left and right side of the statue.. so I did manage to catch the whole ceremony.. Too bad I couldn't put up the entire video as it is 6 minutes long.. :(



Took a few more photos on my way back to the train station..


Next stop, 诚品 at 敦南路.. Heard so much about this bookstore that I had to visit it.. This is 24-hour bookstore that allows anyone to just walk in and browse.. Truth be told how disappointed I was when I got there.. I was expecting to see a much bigger floorspace.. something to the scale of Kinokuniya in Singapore.. but instead I could walk around the entire bookstore in less than 10 minutes!! Most of the books are in Chinese, which is not surprising, with some Japanese books thrown in, but I was quite disappointed at the range of English books there.. I left after spending almost an hour checking out all the books, very slowly..

On my way to the train station, I then decided to have my lunch at a restaurant that boasted award-winning 牛肉面 (beef noodles).. I must admit that it was one of the better beef noodles that I have tasted, though not the best..

After lunch, I went to 中正纪念堂 (National Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall), again taking the trains.. Around the vicinity are 國家戲劇院 (National Theater), 國家音樂廳(National Concert Hall) and 自由广场 (Freedom Square). Here are some of the photos of these places..



And some photos of the actual Memorial Hall..



And even a couple more photos... :)



As I need to meet with Sharon at 3:30pm at 芝山站, I didn't have the time to visit the exhibition hall nor the side gardens.. But frankly, I don't have much interest in CKS.. :p

I met her and her boyfriend, Kelvin there.. She drove me back to her place so that she could park her car. Kelvin was to be our driver for the night.. :) He drove us to 淡水老街.. It was almost sunset and the view was rather beautiful..

The place were crawling with people, but yet according to Sharon, it should have been much much more crowded than it was. Most probably people heeded the weatherman's advice and stay indoor because of the cold draft.. There were soo many stores selling all kinds of food stuffs... Sharon took me to the real original stores to try some of the delicacies, like fish balls, 阿给,肉包 and 酸甘汁... that's the perks of having a local guide.. :) We tried many of the food tasting samples along the way too.. would definitely go there again to eat all those that I had missed out this time.. Bought pretty of food stuff back too.. some are to give to others but guilty to say that most of it are for my own consumption.. :p :p :p

Kelvin then drove us to 愚人码头.. The wind was strong and cold.. there were very few people there.. we just walked one round of the area and headed back.. I then took a train from 红树林站 to get back to my hostel..


Summary of what I ate for the day:
豆花,鱼丸,阿给,肉包,酸甘汁


Up till today, I had almost visited all the popular tourist attractions, minus Taipei 101, which I am going to do the next day... Not too bad for a single female traveler.. :)

Click here for more photos
Same photos uploaded to my Facebook album..

No comments: