Mar 30, 2009

Taiwan: Lodging

In this trip, I had wanted to stay in one of the hotels that was recommended by my friend, but too bad the single rooms there were fully booked.. Then I stumbled upon a backpacker's hostel, named aptly as Taipei Backpackers Hostel (http://www.taipei-backpackers.com/hostel/index.php). It offers single room for NT$700 (around ¥2,100/SGD$32)... Thus I took a chance and booked 6 nights... It was a calculated risk as I have read through many reviews of the hostel, and most of them had good things to say..

The location of the hostel was also rather convenient, being near one of the teen hangouts at 西门町. I managed to find the place quite easily, following the directions given on the website.


My room was just in front of the reception counter and lounge area, so I can safely leave my laptop there when I go for sight-seeing.. It was really very small but relatively clean.. anyway it was okay, since I don't plan to stay in my room much except to sleep.. :) I had problem sleeping the first two nights, because the sound insulation is bad and there were people talking at the lounge late into the night.. but from the 3rd night onwards I was too tired to be bothered by the noise.. :p


The toilets and bathrooms were kept very clean.. the kitchen too.. it was the only place that people could smoke, which suited me the best since I hate cigarette smell.. wireless broadband are provided, the signal are strong enough for us to access it in our rooms...

The best thing however was the people managing the place.. Ice and Jan are friendly and very helpful.. They are there 24/7 to help with anything that we might need.. There are a couple of foreigners who had been staying there for months.. and occasionally friends would come over and play board games.. so it was a place to hang-out and chit-chat..

Many of the backpackers know the basic etiquette of living in a backpackers' hostel, while some were really a big pain in the ass.. With those thin walls, one could really hear even the crumpling of plastic bags next door, not to mention "king-kong" footsteps of some in the common area.. Many Singaporeans and Malaysians stayed in this hostel.. Most of the guests are young people in their twenties, with the occasional couples and families..

I must say that I had a very good time staying in this hostel.. I would recommend this hostel to those who are visiting Taipei, and don't mind a bit of noise (depending on your room, actually)..

No comments: