Mar 18, 2009

Taiwan: Day Zero (10 Mar)

Took Flight JL647 to Taipei at 16:30hrs from Narita Airport..


It was on a 747 airplane.. The air stewardesses comprised of Japanese and Taiwanese, and the announcement on board were in 5 languages: English, Japanese, Chinese, Min-nan dialect and Hakka dialect!! :o The aircraft were almost full, with many Japanese on board.. I would presume that majority of them were having the same agenda as me.. :p Most of them have guide books or magazines that showcased the various interesting places and food to try.. Actually, I think they should go OUT of their country more often and see how BIG the world is out there.. And to see for themselves, what is called REAL FOOD!!!!

Reached Taipei Airport around 19:30hrs.. after clearing custom and picking up my luggage, it was almost 20:15hrs.. Went to the Tour bus area (take a right after exiting from the arrival area, turn right again, then left into an area with counters selling bus tickets) and bought my ticket aboard 国光巴士 for NT$125 (about ¥365 or SGD$5.70), which would take me to Taipei Train Station. The bus journey took about an hour..


Taipei Train Station is huge.. There are several sections: 台铁、捷运、观光巴士. Luckily the signage are good enough to direct me to the right train entrance.. Compared this to the craziness of Tokyo subway, this is nothing.. I was to take the MRT to 西门站 for NT$20 (about ¥60 or SGD$0.90), which is just a stop away from Taipei Station on the 板南 Line.. 西门町 is the place where most of the young people like to hang out, similar to Harajuku in Tokyo..

The directions given by the hostel that I am going to stay was pretty accurate, so I did manage to find the place after all.. :) I was to stay at the Taipei Backpackers Hostel (http://www.taipei-backpackers.com) for 6 nights.. Cos I didn't want to waste time and energy to change hostel/hotel.. I am paying NT$700 (about ¥2100 or SGD$32) per night for a single room.. Shall write more on the experience living in the hostel in another entry..

After checking-in and paying the bill for the coming 6 nights, I went out to get food.. since it was almost 11pm, I didn't want to risk eating something that might upset my stomach, so I went into a bakery and bought some bread.. and then to a convenient store to get a drink...


Ate my dinner only after I had bathed and log-on to inform my parents about my reaching safely. Slept about 12midnight..

Thus my first night in Taiwan.. :)

No comments: