Mar 19, 2009

Taiwan: Day One (11 Mar)

Today, I woke up around 6:30am so that I could catch an early bus (7.20am) to 九份 and then to 基隆. Left the hostel around 7am and took the train to 忠孝复兴站 to take the bus to 九份.

I got out of the MRT train station and went looking for the bus stop to 九份. There were a row of bus signs with people queuing.. Before looking for the bus stop that I want, I bought a 水煎包 (NT$13/¥38/SGD$0.60) as breakfast.. Then several buses went by with the signage that said "台北《=》瑞芳". A guy who was also waiting asked me if I am going to 九份. He mistook me for a Korean or Japanese, until I spoke in Chinese.. Then we started chatting.. It seemed that he is relief teacher who was going to 瑞芳 for classes. He graduated from a University in US, but couldn't find a permanent job so he became a relief high school teacher.. The bus we took was a 'rapid' bus that only go to 瑞芳 for NT$90 (about ¥260/SGD$4.10), so I had to take another bus to 九份. So I paid the extra NT$21 (about ¥61/SGD$0.95), but I overshot and took the bus all the way to 金瓜石 instead..



I got off 金瓜石 and wandered around for a while.. went down some lanes to look see.. There were supposed to be a location where 悲情城市 was filmed, but too bad it was destroyed by a thunderstorm.. :( I took a couple of photos there, as the scenery was very beautiful.. it has a rainy and dreamy feel.. Then I took the bus to 九份 again.. another NT$21.. The road along the way was winding and narrow.. but the bus driver's skills was very good.. however, the stop for 九份 can be easily missed if one doesn't know the way..


Maybe because I was too early.. haven't seen any tourist, even the shops are not opened yet.. :p But that is the way I liked it.. Went walking around the area.. It was overlooking a valley, which was very nice.. Took lots of photos.. There were even a second-hand bookstore there which was very well-equipped with all kinds of books. In the end, I bought a book with a 50% + 20% discount!! Would have bought more if not for the fact that I am on a tour right now..




Slowly, more tourists appeared.. Majority of them were Japanese.. We were all fascinated by the staircases and buildings that were the inspiration for 千与千寻 (Spirited Away).


I went to try the 赖阿嬷芋圆, which was very delicious.. I tried the 3 in 1 flavor for NT$40 (about ¥115/SGD$1.80)...

Then I went to the 城隍庙. It was so grand.. Just look for yourself in the photos and video below..



After that I took a bus to 基隆 (NT$42/¥38/SGD$1.90).. The journey was very zigzag-ing.. But unfortunately it was raining when I got there.. The rain was spoiling my mood to explore the area.. Even so, I walked around area surrounding the Train Station.. I was trying to look for 庙口, but somehow I can't find it... I walked around and around for almost 2 hours..



Saw a parade.. a small one.. it was the famous 八家将游行.. here are some photos and a video of some of the actions..



Finally I went to 基隆文化中心 and had my lunch there.. a beef pot (小锅-牛肉) for NT$138 (around ¥385/SGD$6.50) with a drink of fruit tea..

Took a train back to Taipei.. for NT$42.. the journey was about an hour..

Went looking for food around 西门町 area.. Bought some interesting food to eat... Reached my hostel before 8pm..

Summary of what I ate for the day:
水煎包, 小锅-牛肉, 葱油饼,肉粽,叉烧包,点心


To see more of the photos I took on this day, click here.. Same photos are uploaded to my Facebook albums too..

No comments: