Apr 16, 2009

English Vs Chinese

Recently I use Chinese to write my blog more often.. maybe because I can express my emotions/feelings better in Chinese.. With English, I can vent my frustrations, made known my anger, convey my views and verbalize my thoughts... but when it comes to what and how I feel, Chinese is still my preferred medium.. Even if I write about the same subject, the nuances that come across would be different, with the English passages being more lively but sarcastic, Chinese being more descriptive but emotional .. It is like I rationalized with English, but emoted in Chinese... ;)

Some of the time it seems that I had problems conveying my thoughts effectively in one language as I was thinking of a phrase in the other language which would better describe what I wanna mean.. If you were to ask me which language do I use when I think, I will not be able to answer you... Because they are just abstract thoughts to me.. only when I need to express those thoughts out would I choose a language, depending on the subjects involved or audiences intended. And sometime, I express myself best using BOTH languages at the same time... Just for the record, I can curse/swear equally fluent in both languages, and maybe in another 2 more too.. :p

I read English books faster than Chinese ones.. but I listen to mostly Chinese songs.. I write better (B.S.-type) essays/reports/articles in English.. while I tend to write my diary in Chinese.. I prefers my news and newspapers in English.. yet I love to read Chinese tabloids.. I grew up listening to English songs (oldies), but had grown to love Chinese and Canton-pop.. :) Both languages play a major role in my life.. They both mounded and defined me..

Thus in this blog of mine, both languages are used.. each to convey a different me.. so unless you are bilingual, you might not know some aspects of me, myself and Imm.. :p

No comments: