Apr 24, 2009

Hanamatsuri

The Japanese celebrates Buddha's birthday on the 8th of April, unlike the rest of the world. It was also called Hanamatsuri, meaning the Festival of Flower in Japanese.. I went to Senso-ji at Asakusa early in the morning to observe their celebration..

Went there pretty early in the morning. Not many people were there yet, which was exactly what I wanted..

Went into the main shrine and prayed.. I asked for my fortune too.. :p Gotten slip No. 76, which foretells a “regular fortune” (吉签).. :) :) :) It said: 富貴天之佑 何須苦用心 前程應顯跡 久用得高臨。In English: To be rich or noble are given by God, you can't get them by your own endeavor, and knowledge. Although you work hard with your best, it doesn't come out so well without help of God. Coming fortune in future depends on all what you have done at past. If you be have your best to others, you can be rich and get honor by people. (Ok, the English is a bit off, but I get the message. :) ) Looks like I need to go pray more often.. :p :p And hopefully everything would be well for me the next couple of months.. :)

I just walked around the place taking photos... even though I have came here several times, I still managed to find corners that I have never visited before..

Then around 10am, a group of children, all dressed up with a big pink (sakura?) flower tied to their heads, came walking towards the temple.. It was a ritual of blessings for the children..

And a short video.. at the end of this group of children was a statue of Buddha placed on top of an elephant.. It was being towed towards the temple for the blessing ritual.

There were two or three small statues of Buddhas in small pagodas placed around the temple vicinity. Devotees can use a small ladle to scoop some water and pour it over the head of the small statue.. It is meant to symbolize the cleansing of the past sins and welcoming good fortune in the coming year..

At that time the place was already swamped with worshipers and tourists.. either busy shopping and taking photos... Went to some shops around the area before going home..

No comments: