May 4, 2009

American Football

Went to the 57th Annual Classic American Football Match between Waseda and Keio with a group of friends (Aishah, Amin, Maow and Sarah) last Wednesday.. This was the first time I went to any sports events in support of my own Uni.. :p

Although I don't really know the exact rules of the game, but the game wasn't too bad.. since we were trashing the opposition.. :p By the time we got to the stadium, it was already half-way through the 2nd Quarter.. and we were leading by
Btw, we were in our school color of maroon, while Keio was in blue..


We didn't score any more points in that quarter.. then it was half time.. the Keio Cheerleaders came to the field to perform.. since they were facing the Keio side of the stadium, we had only the "back view"..



After a while, the 3rd Quarter started.. nothing changed.. We are still the dominating ones.. The opposition was not able to find a way to neutralize our attacks.. thus the scoring was still very one-sided... Here is a video of one of the touch down..

After a couple more touch downs and goal kicks later, we won the game as the Unicorns could barely putting up a fight against the Big Bears..

Then came the usual trophy presentation.. the best player/coach/manager/whatever awards.. followed by the singing of University anthems, the usual coach/captain throwing rituals, the loud cheering of victory, etc.. Sorry, if I sounded nonchalant.. The game was fun to watch but it was too loop-sided.. Almost wanted to cheer for our opponents so that the game would be more exciting... :x However, after doing some research online after the game, I found out that Keio had won more games than us! We won 20, drew one but lost 36 games since the annual match-up begun in 1952.. Past match results here So now I think it was good that we trashed them hard this time.. :p :p

Having been in this university for more than 2 years now, I know that I should be more "patriotic" and support my varsity sports teams more often.. However, those games were either held in not-so near places or I have no interest what-so-ever.. The ONE sports that my University is dominating is baseball which I don't know how to appreciate at all.. So when everyone was hyping about attending the baseball games, especially between Keio and us, I don't feel the same enthusiasm at all.. but now, after attending the American football game, I realized that I should look at it from another point of view. Attending these games can be a good pretext to have some great fun times with friends! :) :) Don't you agree?

No comments: