May 2, 2009

Final rites

Okay, I shall continue from my previous post of Bucket List..

I know that it is not good to talk about death or dying, but it is inevitable that we will "expire" some day.. When that happens, the burden of arranging our last rites or funeral arrangements would fall unto our families.. In order to spare them the painful tasks of arranging my last "appearance" (a.k.a. funeral) and settling the things thereafter, I shall list down some of my preferences and what I would like them to do to me after I pass on..
  • I want it to be held in Singapore. I feel more attached to Singapore than anywhere else in the world.. I spent most of my adult life there.. And most of my closest friends are there.. I would like to see them one last time.. A 3-day service would be sufficient.. I don't want to be "on show" for too long.. and no point inconveniencing everyone just because I died..
  • I want white flowers and musics.Never a flower person, but I would like some white flowers during my funeral.. Any white ones will do.. But please no BIG flower baskets.. Just enough flowers to make the place looks nice and somber.. and to soften my image a bit.. :p Classical or slow jazz musics are to be played.. I might come out with a play list later..
  • No "white gold".Please donate the money for the customary "white gold" to charities.. any charities will do.. Help the living is more practical than "honoring" me.. I will be happy just by the presence of friends and families.. The effort they make to come and see me for the last time, even for a few minutes, is enough for me..
  • I want to be "burnt". Thus no burial, just cremation. As much as I hate the idea of my body being reduced to ashes, I think this is the most environmentally friendly way.. I wouldn't want to be six feet under.. and then being dug up x-years later because they need to build roads or whatever.. So no need expensive coffin since it is going to be burnt anyway..
  • I want to be "burnt" in sports/casual attire. Those who knew me knows that I am never comfortable in any kind of formal wear.. so please don't dress me in one.. and also NEVER in a dress or a skirt.. I would be uncomfortable for the rest of my eternal life!! :p Some of my suits can be burnt later, separately..
  • I want to "stay" in a Buddhist temple. I don't want a place that is noisy and rowdy, with joss-stick smokes or burning papers.. Thus place my ashes in a real Buddhist temple, not those Taoism ones.. in this way I can be surrounded by peace and serenity.. If I could, I would like to be placed at that small Buddhist temple in Race Course Road, Singapore which I visit very often..

Of course there is still the issue of bequeathing all my earthly possessions to my loved ones.. frankly, I don't have much property to give away.. No house, no car, just some stocks/shares (that isn't worth a lot right now) and bits of savings.. and luckily, no debts/liabilities too.. I have already put my parents as my beneficiaries for my insurances and CPF money.. The few precious possessions are my diaries and my jade pendant, which have more sentimental values than real ones.. I have yet to decide what to do with them..

No comments: