Sep 9, 2009

Western Japan 2009: Routines

Okay, even when I go traveling I like to have some kinds of routines or base rules.. I know.. I know.. I should be following my heart and do whatever I fancy, and do things on impulse.. but that is just too much to ask for.. :P But in order not to hide within my comfort zone and try new things, I set out several interesting "must-do" items...

1. Never eat anything that I have eaten before..
This will force me to try out new food.. Food in Japan doesn't really tempt me that much, plus I'm that particular about food.. So most of the time, I would just grab anything convenient so as not to "waste" time looking for food.. This time round, in order for me not to go eat rice ball, sandwiches, McD, Yoshinoya or any familiar fast food, I shall obey this rule... so far, I have.. :)

2. A beer a day keeps the fever away... (生ビルと発泡酒)
Yes, have been drinking a can (or two) almost every night.. :P on top of the "must-drink" orange juice.. Haven't had the chance to taste all the different types of beers in Japan, so this trip provides a great excuse to do just that.. So far, have yet to find any beer to my liking.. Another 8 days (= 8 more cans) to go.. :p

3. Specialty in every city (特産とお土産)
Been buying specialty food in every city.. although I can't bring it back to Tokyo, I will photograph them and eat them at the next city.. :p So far, nothing fantastic.. Maybe because I usually buy those that looked more filling than just looked nice..

4. Train food aka Eki-ben (駅弁)
Been buying and eating Eki-ben during the last two train trips.. Eki-ben, or Eki-Bento in full, are the bento boxes sold on each train stations to hungry travelers making their way to their destinations.. Nicely packed, they are really delicious, although kinda cold.. :) Slightly more expensive, but definitely worth the price..

5. Fortune at each city (おみこし)
Have scheduled to visit at least one temple or shrine at each city.. so I shall ask for my fortune ONCE in each city.. so far, I have been getting positive "responses" from 3 Kami-san (神様) in Kyushu.. :p Let's see what will the Kami-san in Chugoku and Shikoku say..

So here you have it, the 5 "ground-rules" that I will be adhering to for the rest of the trip, which all serve to ensure that I enjoy the trip 100%!!

2 comments:

§nóflèk said...

very "systematic", but nevertheless good to hear you're trying new stuff everyday! :) now i envy you pulak!

Imm said...

Don't envy me.. You've been to more cities in Japan than me.. :)