Oct 19, 2009

Fridge, chairs and washing machine..

The three things mentioned above are as old as the three of us (me, my brother and my sister, in that order).. and actually, there are many more things that are as old, if not older than the three of us in the house..

The FridgeIt was bought in the same year as I was born.. The company, Pan-Electric, that manufactured this fridge has long since collapsed, with much notoriety in the mid-1980s.. But this fridge managed to survive.. It has traveled from Kuala Kangsar, Kuala Lumpur, Kluang, Bukit Mertajam, Bagan Serai and finally settling down in Taiping...

Initially white, we spray-painted it green when the paint was peeling more than 15 years ago.. It is still functioning well, with the freezer still able to make ice and keep everything cold, all except the door is no longer air-tight due to the hardening of the rubber insulation around it.. I think my parents are going to keep it as long as possible.. Well, I might even take it with me if it is still working when I (finally) get a house of my own in the future.. :)

The ChairsAll these years, we never had any sofas.. My dad made 4 chairs, just as seen in the photo above, from the wood that he managed to salvage from his airbase more than 30 years ago.. Actually, they might be even older than my brother.. Of course, the cushions were changed many times along the years, but the wooden frames remain as sturdy as the day they were build..

My dad actually built many of our furniture which are still around to this day, like the study desks that my brother and I used when we were young (complete with lockable drawers), book shelves, tables and stools.. And he is the ultimate DIY guy that I have ever seen.. From him, I've learn to improvise and think of alternative ways of resolving any needs, not to mention the skills to do most of the household repairs and fixings. :) So I know my way around hammers, screw-drivers, handsaw, pliers and wrenches..

The Washing MachineThis is our first washing machine. It was bought to wash my sister's cloth diapers more than a quarter of a century ago.. I was the main user, being the eldest and all.. It has 2 separate portions, one to wash and rinse the clothes, the other to spin dry them. The spin-dryer is still working, and my mum still uses it whenever she hand-wash some of her clothes..

Had wanted to get a new washing machine for my parents, but they insist that the current one is still usable. FYI, the one that we are using now is Washing Machine No.2.. In case you haven't notice, most of the stuffs in my house last longer than their usual lifespan.. The sewing machine is around 30years old, several of the wardrobe cupboards are between 20-30 years, and the rice cooker, slow cooker and our current fridge are about 15 years.. And I am still sleeping in the same bed (not the same mattress, though) that I did before I left for Singapore, more than 15 years ago!!

No comments: