Oct 3, 2009

Mid Autumn's Festival 2009

Wrote about this festival exactly 2 years ago..

What difference it has been in 2 years.... Then, I was experiencing my first autumn in Japan.. Now, autumn is my favorite season.. Then, I was alone in a foreign country (like the past 15 years).. Now, I am back with my family.. Yet the sense of melancholy remains the same..

Another thing always gets on my nerves is how people keep referring this festival as "Moon cake Festival".. Seriously, call it its proper name, it is called the Mid-Autumn Festival.. 是中秋节不是月饼节!!! there is so much more to this day than just eating moon cakes.. There are many stories surrounding this festival.. and I think Wikipedia has done quite a comprehensive job in collecting most of the stories behind it..

Other than the poem by 《水调歌头》from 苏轼, I like this one too...

《月下独酌》 (唐)李白

花间一壶酒,独酌无相亲。
举杯邀明月,对影成三人。
月既不解饮,影徒随我身。
暂伴月将影,行乐须及春。
我歌月徘徊,我舞影零乱。
醒时同交欢,醉后各分散。
永结无情游,相期邈云汉。

And here is my novice interpretation of this poem..

Drinking alone under the moonlight
Among the blooming flowers, a bottle of wine is prepared,
drinking it alone as there are no one around.
Offering a toast to the full moon,
three's a company with the moon, my shadow and me.
The moon does not know the joy of drinking,
neither does my shadow, simply mimicking my every moves.
Alas I have only the moon and my shadow for company,
I need to make merry while the situation permits.
As I sing aloud, the moon listens in silence;
as I dance around, my shadow follows in vain.
We did have fun together while we are still sober,
yet we had to go our separate ways the morning after.
May we share this friendship forever,
and let's promise to meet somewhere far away..


So? What do you think? Feedback is welcomed..

Anyway, Happy Mid Autumn's Festival! 中秋节快乐!
祝大家:月圆人团圆!

2 comments:

§nóflèk said...

even though i am in no position to say whether you interpreted the poem correctly, i must say that it sounds like a nice poem! did i also mention that you were the only one who sms me about mid autumn's festival? :)

Anonymous said...

A bit pretentious, aren't we?

Mooncake festival has been called thus, in the same way Dumpling Festival has gained its popularity in name.
Min yi shi wei tian. Food plays such a big part of Chinese life, it isn't at all unusual for people to remember festivals via food.